Monday, November 26, 2007

Greensleeves... or just green wine

Well, I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, mine was quite enjoyable. The break from school and free reign in a kitchen at home with loads of spices and ingredients is always fun. While this meant that I had to shelve my reviews for a few days, fear not, I did in fact continue my virtual, wine led walk through the valleys of Argentina.

This review is dedicated to a grape Id heard was sharp as a tack and clean as a whistle, one that would make a safe choice with salads in a variety of styles. Such a thought left me with a worry that it would just taste sterile, but I conjoured up a bottle of 2006 Finca El Portillo Sauvignon Blanc, and had mixed opinions.

Price (Paid in Ithaca NY): $10

Maker: Finca El Portillo

Vintage: 2006

Country/Appelation: Argentina/Mendoza (Valle De Uco)

Varietal/Blend: 100% Sauvignon Blanc

Special Designations: Estate Bottled

Nose: The nose is just a bit off, disrupting the clean sharp green scent that otherwise dominates.

Taste: The medium body beefs up the lighter taste of green apple, blending into a grapefruittyness that lingers on the aftertaste. Unfortuntely, Im not a huge han of grapfruit and the aftertaste follows the fruit exactly, making it pretty annoying. The very lively acidity and dry greeness of the wine make it clean and sharp, too bad the aftertaste wrecks it for me.

QPR: Good

Pairings: Salads still seem to be what I would go with here. The razor-like acidity would seem more paired to a warm weather sort of gathering. The green atmosphere it carries could also pair well with melon or other such fruit I suppose.

Final Thoughts: This grape lived up to its reputation as being an acidic but clear wine. I didn't appreciate the grapefruitiness in the taste and aftertaste, but that could just be that I don't really like grapefruit. I would be more than willing to try the varietal again, as the rest of the wine impressed me alot, but I couldn't get over that one little hump, the grapefruit.

No comments: