Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Key Chianti

I have come to find in the past couple weeks that I love Italian reds. The depth and tannins, when in balance, create a taste that I truely adore. After tasting a series of Chianti Classicos at a local tasting, I decided to share one here that was truely excellent. Now, Chianti Classico is a designation that is (supposedly) a step above Chianti. Classicos come from only the heart of the Chianti region in Tuscany, and must be 100% Sangiovese, as well as follow other specific rules to qualify for the DOCG classification. I can tell you, on the whole, the couple extra bucks you spend on a Classico are, more often than not, well spent. The Classicos I tasted were richer and stronger, without sacrificing balance, compared to the standard Chiantis. I highly recommend you try one soon, or perhaps it will take my good words to encourage you:


Price (Paid in Ithaca NY): $17

Maker: Toscolo

Vintage: 2004
Country/Appelation: Italy/Chianti Classico
Varietal/Blend: 100% Sangiovese
Special Designations: None

Nose: Violets and freshly upturned earth swirl invitingly on the nose, much like a freshly worked garden.

Taste: A fantasticly balenced mix of simple flavors from a variety of fields. A deeper raspberry and cherry fruitiness with a touch of strawberry keeping it from being too beefy. After the fruit it moves into a deeper violet note, ending with tannins that add a small, unobtrusive hint of earthiness. Stays on the lighterside despite having alot of deeper flavors.
QPR: Excellent QPR. This is something you would go back and buy again and again, even if it is $17.

Good Pairings: This is a classic Italian wine that will pair well with just about any red Italian dish. I personally loved it with lasagna filled with fresh veggies from the greenhouse out back.

Final Thoughts: Many people have told me they liked the Toscolo Chianti (not Classico), which is much easier to find. I would certainly recommend you try both and compare, can you tell the difference between the region and its heartland?

No comments: